The site of Hosdent and the nature reserve
Situated at the bottom of the Méhaigne valley, at the heart of the village of Latinne, this site is made up of the listed buildings of the former Hosdent law court
and the old Hosdent mill
. Adjacent to these buildings, a humid educational zone (willow plantation, pond, and rose garden) has been created.
The state-owned nature reserve of the Hosdent marshland is not far away from here; it covers 8 hectares of land. You can discover the nature reserve whilst walking the Rainette des Marais
(Marsh Tree-Frog ) trail.
The old Hosdent law court
was built in 1685 at the side of the Méhaigne. Thus, it formed part of the domain of the lords of Hosdent and was incorporated into a group of agricultural buildings situated near the old Château de Hosdent, which has now disappeared. The magistrates came to administer justice in this magnificent building.
Now renovated, the old law court notably houses a village hall, the office of the Centre for the Méhaigne and the Rural Environment and of the Contrat Rivière Méhaigne Society, as well as exhibition rooms.
Alongside the law court is Hosdent mill
, whose buildings are situated on both sides of the Méhaigne. On the left-hand bank there is a flour mill, which was renovated at the end of the 18th century and which had 2 wheels. In the 19th century, the 17th-century buildings on the right-hand bank housed an oil and hemp mill. At the end of the century, these uses were discontinued in favour of a second grain mill. The mill is currently being renovated and will soon house a hostel.
The feudal motte, orchard, and educational pond of Ville-en-Hesbaye
The old feudal motte
, an ancient line of defence, is overlooked by a majestic oak. In the past, it was surrounded by water and dominated by fortifications. It dates back to a period ranging from the 13th to the 15th century.
Today, the new plantation of various old and rustic varieties of fruit trees and the digging of two ponds give particular value to this remarkable place of interest situated within the nature park.
The territory of Braives is crossed by the Méhaigne and dotted with mills, some of which still have their wheel. (Check the tourist map showing the mills in the tourist guide
Castles and castle-mansions
- Château de Pitet: The castle consists of constructions dating from the 17th and 18th centuries and of a Meuse Renaissance courtyard farm renovated during the 19th century. The castle is situated in a beautiful park with particularly noteworthy hornbeams.
- Château de Fumal: Built like the church on a schistose spur, the castle is a beautiful whitish limestone structure. Its ancient nucleus consists of a tower that possibly dates from the 15th century topped by a domed roof and equipped with new cladding during the first third of the 17th century. The constructions that came to stand there date back to the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Château de Marotte in Braives: Built around 1725 in brick and limestone.